Why Gastric Sleeve

There are many procedures for bariatric surgery, including Gastric Band, Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, and Duodenal Switch. We believe that Gastric Sleeve surgery is among the most effective surgeries with minimal potential complications and faster recovery, with no foreign body usage and no malabsorption symptoms.

As the name indicates, part of the stomach is removed, leaving a small sleeve-shaped stomach tube that limits food intake. Moreover, since the now-smaller stomach produces less “hunger hormones”, appetite is usually reduced.

Many studies support the fact that the Gastric Sleeve surgery is a great procedure for patients with a BMI in the range of 30-50. For patients with a very high BMI (typically over 60), Gastric Sleeve operation can be performed as a two-stage procedure, with the second surgery being performed within 6-12 months after the first one. Currently, for patients whose BMI ranges between 30-60, Gastric Sleeve is not covered under OHIP unless Gastric Bypass is not possible due to small bowel disease or previous surgeries.  When the Gastric Sleeve OHIP coverage criteria is not met, then you will not be able to choose the Sleeve as your primary procedure. In these cases, we are here to help out and provide you with your choice for the Sleeve with almost no waiting time. *Results May Vary Person to Person.
During the Gastric Sleeve procedure, a thin vertical “sleeve” of stomach is created and separated from the rest of the stomach. The sleeve is about the size of a banana. The rest of the stomach is removed. The Gastric Sleeve procedure is performed using laparoscopic surgery. This is a minimally invasive technique that results in shorter hospital stay, faster recovery, smaller scars, and less pain. We are also specialized in converting a non-functioning or complicated Gastric Band into a Gastric Sleeve!
You will expect most of the Gastric Sleeve weight loss in the first 6-12 months following the surgery. The greatest weight loss occurs in the first 3 months. Most studies suggest that with Gastric Sleeve, patients lose an average of 65% of their excess weight in the first 12-18 months after the procedure. While in the Gastric Band, patients lose an average of 40% to 50% of their excess weight..** **Reference *Results May Vary Person to Person.
The procedure takes 60-90 minutes and is performed using general anesthesia. On average, you will stay in the hospital for about one to two days, usually returning to normal activities in 5-7 days and enjoying a full recovery in about two weeks.
Gastric Sleeve is not just a great weight loss procedure, it has many benefits which begin almost immediately after surgery and continue over time. Benefits include the following:
  • Significant, sustained weight loss; typically, you lose most of the excess weight you have (about 60-70%) in 12-18 months. Most patients maintain this loss or 90% of it for years.
  • Control type 2 diabetes; with about 60% of individuals achieving complete remission of their diabetes, whereas the remaining 40% will have significant improvement and reduction of their medication.
  • Controlled high blood pressure, with no need for medications in more than 50% of individuals.
  • Remission of sleep apnea in up to 90% of patients.
  • Significant improvement in cholesterol and TG numbers.
  • Reduced osteoarthritis symptoms in most patients, which improves mobility and the ability to perform sport-related activities that they were unable to perform prior to the surgery.
  • Improved acid reflex symptoms in many patients.
  • Reduced risk of several cancers including ovarian, colon and uterus.
  • Cure of many infertility cases.
  • Increase life expectancy: it is proven that Gastric Sleeve, like many other bariatric surgeries, prolongs life by an average of 10 years due to the improvement of other obesity related health conditions.
*Results May Vary Person to Person.
The Gastric Sleeve comes with a very high safety profile. The possible complications are about 1-2% risk of post-surgery leak, 1% bleeding, and post-op stenosis (narrowing) in less than 2% of cases. Failure rates of Gastric Sleeve is about 10% on the long term. *Results May Vary Person to Person.
We have a dedicated team at the hospital, where expert pre-operative nurses and a dietitian will walk you through all diet and lifestyle expectations before and after the procedure. In Gastric Sleeve, the stomach is reduced to a small pouch that limits the amount of food consumed at each meal, resulting in less food intake but still feeling satisfied. The pouch starts off very small but may stretch over time, however, it will stay smaller than the actual stomach size before surgery, helping you feel satisfied with better eating habits.

Book Your Consultation. Call Now!